I was going to make some quality lemon cupcakes. But alas, we didn't have any lemons! Not a problem. I modified the recipe a bit, and everyone ended up liking these more than just plain lemon cupcakes! Here is the recipe:
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 pack of plain lemon cake mix
3/4 c. lemon yogurt
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. orange zest (cheese-grate an orange)
- Preheat to 350 and line your cupcake pan with paper liners
- Put the egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium-sized bowl. Beat it up, babe! Yup, until it forms 'stiff peaks'. Set it aside. Maybe in front of the TV. Don't let it get bored.
- Put the cake mix, yogurt, oil, egg yolks, lemon juice, and zest into a large mixing bowl. Beat it up for 2 minutes.
- Put the beaten egg whites into the batter you just lovingly created. Stir it with a big spoon (don't you dare use those beaters!) until the mixture is 'light but well combined'.
- Scoop about 1/3 c. of batter into each cupcake cup. You should get between 20 and 22 cupcakes.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until they 'spring back when lightly pressed'.
Nicely done indeed.
But wait! We are forgetting something. The frosting! This is most awkward indeed. But don't worry, the awkwardness will now cease. Here is my made-up recipe of the perfect frosting for these cupcakes (it is seriously so delicious):
1/2 c. butter (that is one stick) at room temperature
3 c. powdered sugar
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice (get an orange and squeeze it to death)
1 tsp. orange zest
Beat it all up until it is light and fluffy. Oh yes.
Frost your cupcakes and you are done!