Monday, May 26, 2014

Homemade Ice Cream

I really really love ice cream.  However, there are pretty much no places to get ice cream around where I live.  It's mostly just frozen yogurt around here!  Because of this need for ice cream, my friends and I decided that we should make some ourselves.


It was surprisingly easy, and took less time to make than we thought it would.  What took the longest was cooking the mixture in the double broiler.  It took quite a while to get it thick enough!

I thought I would share with you guys the recipe, because it turned out way good!  It was actually just the recipe on the side of our Morton ice cream salt box, which was probably bought in the 90s like our ice cream maker was.

French Vanilla Ice Cream

2 c. milk
3 egg yolks (beaten slightly)
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. table salt
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, salt, and egg yolks together then pour in the milk.  Cook in a double broiler until the mixture thickens a little bit and coats the spoon.  Remove it from the heat and add the cream and vanilla.  Freeze using an ice cream maker.

The great thing about making ice cream is that you can make it however hard you want it!  We were impatient, so we didn't let ours freeze for too long.  But that was the perfect consistency for me!


I encourage you guys to try making ice cream this summer!  It is just so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment