Sunday, July 20, 2014

Farewell, Chris

Today Chris gave his farewell talk!  He's in our ward, so that was convenient.  My grandma and grandpa came, as well as Jen and her family.  With them and all of Seiji's friends, we took up an entire row (and one of the smaller side benches)!  I'm sure that doesn't seem very crazy to a lot of you, but filling up that much space at church is rare for my little family and I.

Anyway, Chris did amazing on his talk.  He talked about the good news of the gospel, and he managed to make it extremely entertaining and insightful at the same time.  He said a lot of important and inspirational things, but didn't ramble on, which is a huge plus!

He made an analogy about soccer teams.  I really like how he said that it is a lot of work being on the Lord's team, you have to commit and work hard and do your best, as opposed to Satan's side where you don't even have to go to "practice" if you don't want to.  But when it comes to the big game, it is no question about who is going to win.  He made a really good point that, though right now it may seem easier to follow the wrong path, we all know that good always overcomes evil, and that the Lord's side will win in the end.

I'm super proud of Chris for his wonderful talk, but even more proud of him for making the choice to go on a mission!  When I was a kid, I thought that every boy goes on a mission, but now that I am getting older I understand what a hard decision it is.  I know that Chris will be blessed for his decision to serve the Lord!


I will definitely miss him, though.  Because I've decided to also serve a mission, I won't see him for almost 3 and 1/2 years!  That is so sad to me!  Chris is like a brother to me, I've known him my whole life and he's always at our house hanging out with Seiji.  And this past year, Chris has been running with me and was on my SkillsUSA team, so we've gotten pretty close!  But that's okay, I can email him whenever I want to, and he'll be in Arizona so we can easily send him Japanese candy (or perhaps drive down to see him?).

For your viewing pleasure: can you find Seiji and Chris?

So yup.  Chris goes to the MTC this Wednesday.  I know that he will do so amazing in Scottsdale!

4 comments:

Angee said...

I loved his talk! I think you could also compare it to an XC team. You know those people that don't show up very often but then come race day don't do so good even though they act like they're part of the "team"? :)

Madi Riye said...

Hahaha! I love that analogy, Sister Draper, because it totally does apply! That's when I'm like, "Well, if you didn't pretend to be sick every day...." ;)

Sister Ormsby said...

I loved his talk too! And I LOVE that you've decided to serve a mission too! You are awesome, that is all. :)

Madi Riye said...

Awh, thanks Sister Ormsby!

Post a Comment