Sunday, November 2, 2014

On Set

Happy Sunday, friends!  In honor of the Sabbath, I am going to share with you guys a really cool experience that I had this last week.

You see, the church is always looking for people who don't look completely Caucasian to act in movies set during The Bible or The Book of Mormon times.  Those kinds of people are hard to find in Utah... but then there is me!  LDS Casting got a hold of me on Sunday wondering if I would be available for an entire day of shooting on Tuesday.  They are working on a series of movies for missionary prep.  I couldn't let the opportunity pass!

I got up at 3:30 in the morning.  It was dark and cold outside, and I had to find my way to the movie set!  It was an hour long drive, and I got pretty lost.  I had accidentally left the directions on the kitchen table at home, and my phone led me to a place about 3 miles away from where I was supposed to be.  Luckily God is awesome and answers prayers, because I just started driving and somehow made it to the exact street I needed to be on!  And then I got cell service!  Yay!  I was able to call my mom (thank goodness she heard her phone) and find the rest of my way to where I needed to be... a half hour late!

After filling out some paperwork, I was sent to wardrobe, makeup, and hair.  I must say that I really loved wearing that headscarf - it kept my head warm!  And I felt awesome in it!  The sandals were horrible, though, my feet were absolutely freezing the entire day.  And they were hard to keep tied and on my feet.  Here is a picture of me in my costume:


After some breakfast and waiting around, we started filming!  There were about 50 of us actors, and the first scene we did was the "Trail of Tears", which was when Jesus was carrying his cross through the streets.  The director asked us extras to be 'jeering' at Jesus, and I tried... but I really couldn't do it!  Luckily, after a few times, he said that we could pick our characters, they could be happy or they could be sad.  Thank goodness!  I was much better at acting shocked and sad, especially because the guy playing Jesus was so amazingly talented.  He would fall right in front of me, and the look he gave the crowd was so devastating and just tore right through me.  Aghh!  Yeah.  No way I could pretend to be happy about the situation, I am not that good of an actress (I'm actually quite a horrible one, to be honest).

We did that same shot a few times.  And a few more times.  And then a lot more times.  It was a little bit tedious as an actress, but I can't even imagine being a filmmaker.... I would not have enough patience!  Holy cow!  It was way cool to see how everything was done, though, those camera guys really know what they're doing.  I made a mental list of things to ask my video friends about, because I don't have much knowledge in the area.

Finally it was lunchtime.. and we were fed the most delicious food!  I spent a lot of time eating everything there was while listening to a bunch of ladies talk about where they came from (England and Brazil included) and pregnancy.  Haha.  I love just listening to people.

It was time for filming again, and we moved to a different scene.  The crucifixion scene!  Can you believe that?  Craziest thing to see ever.  I was standing directly in front of the cross for most of the time and it was really impressive how real they made the whole thing look.  It was pretty touching, filming that scene, especially how quiet it got when the Jesus actor said, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

We did that scene several times, and when we weren't filming I was hanging out with some new friends that I made and eating Rice Krispie treats with the Pharisees (definitely not a sight you see every day).  The sun moved closer and closer to the mountains, and we were just about to start freezing again (the morning was so cold, by the way!) when the director said, "that's a wrap!"  I was really excited about the fact that they actually say that phrase.

It was a really cool experience to be on set.  Most people don't get that opportunity, and so I feel pretty awesome that I know what that's all about and that I can say I've been in a movie!  But it was an even cooler experience that I was able to be in those extremely important scenes.  I feel honored to have had the opportunity to be in them, and it strengthened my testimony that the Savior did suffer and die for us because he loves us so much.  The church is true, guys!

1 comment:

Sister Ormsby said...

What a fantastic experience, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing the film when it's complete and I can say... "I know her!" :)

Post a Comment