Monday, December 29, 2014

The Giver

I finally got around to watching The Giver!  You know, after my mom totally went and saw it without me when it was in theaters.


Sarah, Jeff, Kylee, and Courtney came over last week to watch this rented movie with me, and I was so pleased to see that it was less than two hours!  I rejoiced!  Usually movies are, like, 5 hours long these days, so it truly is a treat when I don't have to commit too many hours of my life to sitting and watching a screen (says the girl that spent an entire day watching LOTR, I know).

The Giver is a movie based off a book.  I actually once met the author.  She was kind of cold, it was a little bit awkward... but still cool!  The story is about Jonas and his world where everyone is the same and the memories of what the world was actually like are all bottled up in some old guy they call the Giver.  Jonas is in charge of absorbing all of those memories, and while doing so he realizes what a crap world he lives in and decides to do something about it.

Most of the time, Sarah and I were evaluating how good of a husband Jonas would be.  He went off the scale, man.  His motivation, his care for others, and his appreciation of the beauty of the world really resonated with us.  Good man.  I was a little bit nervous about the fact that T-Swizzle was in the movie (why do musicians think that they can act??), but her part was so small that I was able to bear it with minimum groaning.  Maybe not quite minimum, but close enough.

I enjoyed the movie.  To be honest, I think that it may have impacted me more than the book ever did.  I've always loved the book, but I've found it little bit anticlimactic.  The differences between the book and the movie, namely the age of the characters, the love story between Jonas and Fiona, and all of the things added to the end of the story, lead me to the opinion that the movie simply flowed better.  It was more relatable and likely.

As for the message, I think that the movie portrayed what Lois Lowry meant to say, and it just worked better than the book because it was on screen.  The contrast between Jonas's colorless world and the beautiful, real, footage from our world really made a point.  By the end, I felt incredibly grateful for our amazingly gorgeous world, full of culture and diversity.

So, nicely done.  I approve.  I'm glad that I finally got to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment