Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cinderella

Guys, it is time to talk about my favorite movie.  The best movie of my entire existence.


Not even kidding!  Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella was my favorite movie when I was a kid.  We had it on VHS and I would watch it over and over.  Well, a couple of months ago I remembered this movie and was like dang, I should really watch that again, you know, upon remembering how much I loved it.  Unfortunately my mom had gotten rid of our VHS version (can you believe that?!), and I couldn't check it out from the library because I'm not old enough.  I guess a 17 year old trying to check out this movie is pretty suspicious or something.

Anyway, after a few more weeks I could wait no longer, and so I consulted my friend Amazon Prime to help me out with my little problem.  In just two days, a glorious little box was on my front step, just waiting to change my life!

Since that fateful day, I have watched this movie countless times.  A couple times a month, honestly.  One weekend I even watched it two days in a row.  Let me explain to you all the reasons why this movie is so unarguably fantastic:

The colorblind casting
The queen is African American, the king is white, and their son is Asian.  Does it get better than that?!  I doubt it!  Diversity being my favorite thing, I love the idea of mixing all of these races together and pretending it's normal.  Though I understand why this can't be the case in most movies, I find it pretty ideal and definitely refreshing.

The Filipino prince
Handsome.  In multiple ways.  He is so sweet.  He can sing, he can.... be Asian.  He can... be handsome!  Talented individual, right there.

The extreme amounts of faith and hope the characters have
The prince and Cinderella are not even worried about not finding each other!  It is so romantic and inspiring!  The movie starts out with a song that is all like hey I'm going to find my hubs/wife someday so I don't even have to stress it and it just gives me so much hope that someday I will find my Filipino prince as well.

The music
I can and will sing every word.  The music is catchy and works well with my range, might I add.

Whitney Houston's hair
I can't even fathom how they made it that big!

It is only an hour and a half long
You have heard me complain about long movies over and over, but this is not a movie worth complaining about!  It is a mere 88 minutes long, which is so ideal.  The perfect amount of time to fold a big pile of clothes.  The perfect amount of time that you can say oh I guess I do have time to watch this short and fabulous movie before I go to bed.  Long enough to seem like a complete story, but not long enough that there is a dull moment where you might fall asleep.
_________________________________________

There are just a few of the things to love in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella.  Some more things being: the costumes, various quotes ("hide your flaws...until after the wedding" #wordstoliveby), the great message of how you have to do something about your dreams if you have any hope of achieving them, and of course the dancing that makes you want to sign up for every community ballroom class.

I seriously can't believe I wrote that much about one movie, especially this movie in particular, but obviously that means that it is noteworthy.  Maybe it is my memories with it that adds some nostalgia (I was even in this play once), but I'm still pretty convinced that this is the best movie in the whole world.  If I am ever in a bad mood, my dear friends, make me go watch this movie.  It will supply me with instant happiness and the ability to recognize and laugh at the absurdity of everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment