Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Conference Quotes of the Week

Guys, general conference is approaching, and I am SO EXCITED!  Really though.  This is the first time that I've found myself so completely ecstatic about general conference.  I mean, what could be better than two whole days of listening to inspired words from God through the mouths of his servants?  What could be more important than that?!  Pretty exciting stuff.

Anyway, I want to start off this weeks' quotes with a question that President Uchtdorf asked,

"What are the nonessential things that clutter your days and steal your time?  What are the habits you may have developed that do not serve a useful purpose?  What are the unfinished or unstarted things that could add vigor, meaning, and joy to your life?"

This question got me thinking.  A couple of days ago, we had a really good lesson in seminary (all of the lessons are good, actually.  I really like my teacher) about how for every person, there is something he or she could give up to enhance his or her life.  They don't necessarily have to be bad things, though of course you should consider giving up the things that are obviously harmful to your wellbeing.  But they could be things like watching too much TV, playing video games, or even spending too much time on social media.

I took that into consideration, and deleted Facebook off my phone because everyone knows that Facebook is a horrible thing.  Then, after hearing this quote on my way to work, I realized that not only should we be willing to give up the things that waste our time, we should channel our energy toward things that will make ourselves and our lives better.  I'm still brainstorming what my plans will be regarding the matter, but I thought I'd share that question with you because I think it is important for everyone to consider.

Anyway.  Here are the rest of the quotes from the week!

"You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church.  It may contradict your political views or your social views.  It may interfere with some of your social life.  But if we listen to these things, as if from the mouth of the Lord himself, with patience and faith, the promise is that the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name's glory." -Harold B. Lee

"It is the still, small voice of the Holy Ghost that testifies through us of the miracle of the Restoration, but first we must open our mouths and testify." -L. Tom Perry

"As our Savior gave His life as a vicarious sacrifice for us, so we, in some small measure, do the same when we perform proxy work in the temple for those who have no means of moving forward unless something is done for them by those of us here on the earth." -President Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment