Monday, March 30, 2015

Kintsugi (Death Cab for Cutie)

This album came out today and it basically ripped out my heart.  Seriously.  It killed me.


I was so excited all those months ago when this album was announced!  Death Cab is hands-down my favorite band of all time, which is quite the claim considering how attached I am to various bands and artists that I've loved for years.

I knew that this album was going to be a good one once I heard what it was called.  Kintsugi.  Kintsugi is a Japanese style of fixing broken pottery with decorative lacquer to make its history a part of it rather than making it seem as if nothing happened.  Isn't that the most beautiful concept?!  From the title alone you can guess exactly what the whole album is about.  And your guess is not wrong.

Kintsugi is a collection of heart-wrenching ballads that in many cases so obviously refer to his divorce with Zooey Deschanel.  The emotion is raw-Ben intricately portrays his longing and regret but does so without being sappy.  He is a lyrical genius, and the things he writes would move just about anybody.  While it is an album about a failed relationship, I wouldn't quite call it depressing.  A lot of Death Cab's old stuff can really get you down in the dumps, but this album gives off more of a beautiful sorrow type of vibe.  It's really just beautiful.

As for the style, well, it's got it all!  Some songs have the darker, acoustic angst for those Plans lovers, but there are definitely also some experimental tracks like ones you'd find on Codes & Keys.  I could even feel some Transatlanticism and Narrow Stairs vibes floating around.  The whole album is stylistically varied, and I found myself liking the diversity of it!

Without hesitation I can say that my favorite song on Kintsugi is Binary Sea.  Oh my gosh, with the piano and the harmonies on top of some quality lyrics, I seriously almost cried.  I'm such a nerd.  But it really is beautiful!  I also like No Room In Frame and pretty much every song on this album.

So if you are looking for some pretty music, I think you know what to seek!  Death Cab for Cutie has still yet to disappoint me, and I will continue to listen to this album on repeat for quite a long time.  It's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment