Saturday, July 11, 2015

Obon 2015

Obon is probably my favorite tradition!


I always love going to the practices, spending time with my cousins and aunts, and getting ready at my grandma's house.  Wearing a kimono is seriously the greatest!


We were running a little bit late, but luckily we made it to the festival right in time for the dancing.  We proceeded to dance the night away!



There's nothing prettier than the lanterns glowing once it gets dark, with all of the dancers in their traditional clothes.  Unfortunately it is harder to get pictures when it gets dark, so you will have to just imagine how beautiful the summer night was!


I was so happy that Bailey came with us!  He is so cute, he wore a hapi coat so we could get some quality pictures.  Hehehe.




At the end of the festival, the crowd gets to join in for some dancing.  Kylie and I taught the boys how to dance, and we all had tons of fun!


It was the most perfect evening.  Obon is pretty much the only thing I do that has to do with Japanese culture, so it is fun to embrace that side of me.  And, of course, it is always nice to remember what Obon is all about, which is to honor our ancestors.  Ancestors are awesome.

And, as we do every year, we ended the evening with a stop by the Salt Lake Roasting Company!

No comments:

Post a Comment