Monday, December 7, 2015

Body Worlds

When I was a kid, my parents went to see Body Worlds.  They told me what it was about - basically displays of dead people without their skin so that we could see their muscles and veins and organs and whatever else are inside people.  The idea horrified me, mostly because I was really afraid of dead people for some reason.  I spent the evening playing Castle Crashers with Seiji, happy that I would never have to go see such a morbid display.

Of course, as I have grown, my love for dead people has also grown.  Mummies are definitely where it's at, but I have been wanting to see Body Worlds for a while now.  It was in Salt Lake City earlier this year (Seiji and Kylie went on their honeymoon, and after they ate lots of meat so they felt really sick!) but I never got the chance to go.  But as I told you yesterday, with a killer price we thought, "Why not see this while we have the opportunity?"



And I am glad we saw it!  It actually didn't bother me at all.  I thought it would because veins make me feel uncomfortable, but the people really didn't look real so I was okay.  Thinking back on it now, it is pretty gross and I don't know how I went through that whole exhibit, but while I was there I was fine.


Like I said, it was really just a series of plasticised people.  I went to the animal version of this exhibit a little while ago, and I must say the animal one was more interesting because of the diversity.  You can only look at so many skinned male humans.  But it was cool to see what our insides look like, and quite humbling to realize just how vulnerable we are.

This one really cracks me up.

I don't know how I feel about these people actually being people, though.  I tried not to think of them that way, because it seems a little messed up.  I kept having to remind myself that these people chose for their bodies to be used for this purpose, so it is okay!  It did seem a little irreverent at times though, because of the poses they would put the bodies in.  Like one guy was cut in half and was high-fiving himself.  Like really?  Another thing that was creepy was just the skin of a human laid out on a table.  Like a dead animal skin rug.  But made of human.

Overall, I am glad that we went!  It was interesting, entertaining, and a good learning experience.  I've wanted to go for a while, so I am glad that I did, but I definitely don't see it necessary to ever go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment